Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

There they are, my sweet Mother's Day gifts, the only ones I will ever need. Of course, I got some material gifts...flowers, a new coffee machine, etc. But I'm a firm believer that the best things in life are free. That was confirmed for me today.

We went out to lunch and the girls each got a balloon. Tia carefully picked the pink one that matched her dress perfectly. She was so proud of that balloon. When we got home she ran up to the porch and then suddenly turned around, looked at me, and said "Mom, I think I want to let my balloon go up to heaven, then Mema can have it". Whoa! She didn't say up in the sky, she actually said she wanted to let it go to heaven. I started to tear up.
I had actually been thinking about my Mom today, and how this is our first Mother's day without her, but I kept it to myself. I'm glad Tia was thinking about her too and had the wisdom not to keep it inside.
So, we stood in the yard and let the balloon go. Tia yelled at the top of her lungs "Here you go Mema! Happy Mother's Day!!". We watched it float up until we couldn't see it anymore. I told Tia that I thought Mema was saying 'thank you for the balloon'. She looked up to the sky and yelled "You're welcome Mema!".
That moment was the best Mother's Day gift I could ever receive. The wisdom of children is a wondrous thing.

Happy Mother's Day to all the great Moms out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was so touching...give Tia a tight hug from my side.

The picture is AWESOME cute!!!