Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Mom

Today would have been my Mom's 70th birthday. She fought really hard to make it to her 69th, but sadly she couldn't make it to this one. I have to smile when I think back to when the doctor told her how much time she had left and her response (after she had some time to think about it) was "Nope, I have to be here for my birthday". She was one stubborn woman, and she sure did what she set out to do. I won't even bother posting pictures here of her at her 69th birthday party because honestly, she was REALLY sick and didn't look like the Mom I want to remember.

Instead, I'll share with you her most favorite picture, taken at one of the happiest times in her life. Here she is with all 5 of her brothers at my wedding. What a handsome bunch of guys they are! When we found out that they would all be there, I made sure to tell the photographer that it was very important to get a good shot of all of them together. You have to understand that this was the one and only time that they had been photographed together. They had a tough childhood and bounced around a lot. They weren't very often all in the same place at the same time. It turned out to be the last opportunity for a shot like this because less than 2 years later, her oldest brother Doug (blue blazer) passed away. This picture meant the world to her.

After our Mom got sick, she told us she didn't see the point in funerals, and that we should have the party while the person is still living so they can enjoy it too! A little unconventional, but it makes a lot of sense. So, my sister and brother in law invited our entire extended family over to celebrate our Mom's life. Of course she had a fantastic time and nobody sat around thinking about her illness, they just enjoyed her company.
Here she is with her 4 remaining brothers. It couldn't compare to the one they had 5 years before, but the important thing is that they were there for each other. She really loved her brothers.

Then somebody at the party had the great idea to get all the bald people together for a picture. How funny to see her surrounded by her bald supporters. Strength in numbers I say!

So, there's just a tiny glimpse into the life of my mother. She was an amazing woman. I'm sure she's having a fabulous party today up in heaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to honor your mom! Love the pictures!