Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

It's New Years Eve and of course every year when this day rolls around, we are forced to reflect on the past twelve months. We think about whether or not we did the things we wanted to do, achieved our goals, kept our resolutions, had more good times than bad. I generally don't make resolutions, they're too easy to break. But I have been trying to figure out if I did everything I set out to do this year. Did I achieve my goals?

Let's see. I became a bit of an exercise nut and managed to lose about 30 pounds. Sure, I wanted it to be more but I'll take it. I got healthier, and at least I didn't gain those pounds! D.R. just asked me this morning if I am proud of myself for sticking it out and getting up every day to do my work out routine. I hadn't thought about it, but I guess I am proud. I will keep going, and maybe this year I'll lose another 30. Now that's a resolution!

I read 15 books this year. Some were fantastic, some not so great. I wanted to read 20 and didn't make it. I don't look on that as a regret though. I'll just have to add to this years list.

I guess if I made resolutions, I would resolve to be a better person, and take good care of myself and my family. I think I have pretty much done that this year. I hope my family would agree.

I was laying in bed last night trying to remember if there were any births, deaths, marriages, etc. in our family this past year. Either I'm very forgetful, or none of these events happened in our family. We had a couple engagements, but no weddings. I don't recall going to any funerals. Some friends had babies, but no one in our immediate family. Is it possible that a whole year passed without a major event like that? That seems a bit odd to me.

As far as big events, there's one that comes to mind. My Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer in March. She was so sick the doctor didn't even know how she managed to walk into his office. She was given less than six months to live. I am happy to report that she responded well to treatment and beat those odds. We are so happy the doctors were wrong. Of course she still has cancer, and that's never a good thing, but we accept each day as a gift. Having her here makes this a Happy New Year.

The kids hit a lot of milestones this year. Tia learned how to talk. I mean REALLY talk. We're all excited about that. She also learned to go on the potty and I am proud to say is completely potty trained! This year she also began dance lessons which she loved, and took a painting class. She's really growing up too fast.

Giuliana learned to feed herself, walk, run, be naughty, and win all our hearts. She celebrated her first birthday in Mexico (with the rest of us). Not many kids can say that!
She has developed a personality all her own. This new year should bring a lot more changes for her since she will turn 2 in April.

D.R. had a very successful year at work. With today's economy, we are thankful he has a job where he is valued.

We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary without much fanfare this year. We plan on taking a trip for our 5 year. Maybe just the two of us. Maybe not.

That's our 2008 in a nutshell. It seems to have gone by so fast. I look forward to seeing what will happen in 2009. More milestones, goals, achievements. I pray for lots of family weddings, healthy babies, and another year of no funerals!

Happy and Healthy New Year.

3 comments:

The Sugden Kids said...

Ronda, I am so sorry about your mom's diagnosis...but so happy that she has beat the odds thus far! That means she has a lot to live for!! I imagine you and your children are a very big part of that! I hope she can beat the odds for 2009 as well!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, may there be only joyous events in 2009!

The Sugden Kids said...

Oh, and I almost forgot!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :)

The Sugden Kids said...

There's so much covered in this post, I keep wanting to reply ..sorry for all the comments! I find it ironic that we are both away from home, our kids are the same age, and will both be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary in 2009?! Wow!

Congrats, too... on losing 30 pounds!!
Amazing commitment... I wish I had that kind of will power and dedication!! Good for you!!