Saturday, December 24, 2011

Remembering Mema

Even though my Mom passed away more than 2 years ago, I'm proud to say that my kids still talk about her all the time. I make an effort to keep her memory alive in our house, especially around the holidays.

While decorating our Christmas tree, we used so many ornaments that were made by my Mom. We talked about her a lot that day.

Yesterday we made Christmas cookies and so many of our cookie cutters belonged to my Mom. I showed the girls all the ones that were Mema's, and they wanted to use them all.
My Mom had a pig cookie cutter, since at one time she collected pigs. We decided to make one piggy cookie in honor of Mema. We even colored it orange, her favorite color...


Once it was frosted it didn't look much like a pig any more, but we all know what it is and who it's for.

Since today is Christmas Eve, the girls got to see what kinds of goodies were waiting in their stockings. My Mom made those stockings by hand. She made one for everyone in our family. Each little bead and sequin was sewed on by her little arthritic hands. I make sure to tell the kids about all the hard work and love that went into making those stockings. They love them as much as I do.



We miss Mema every day, but her memory is still alive in our home.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: