Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One Year Later

June 12 was the one year anniversary of my Mother's death. A few months ago my sister called to tell me about a lung cancer race/walk (Meaghan's Run) that was happening on that exact day. What an amazing coincidence! We decided we needed to participate in this walk together to honor our Mom. Even more of an amazing coincidence is that this annual race was started by a woman who shared my Mom's birthday. More reason to get involved, and raise money for a great cause.
So, my sister flew to Chicago, stayed a couple days, and then we did the long and grueling drive back to Rochester together.
Bright and early on the 12th a big bunch of us met at my sisters house to head over to the race. I was touched by how many of our friends and relatives decided to join us!

Here are our top money raisers! Our friends Sheila and Roman. Roman was very close to my Mom, and ironically enough, they too shared a birthday!

Here's our group of walkers for "Team Peg!" What a great group.

We had two runners for "Team Peg!" My great Uncle Roger (72 years old!) and my nephew Thomas. They did great, Uncle Roger came in 2nd place for his age group. We're so proud.


We added a bunch of folks to our group along the way. The gentleman with white hair is Meaghan's father, the woman who the race was started by and named for. I had the opportunity to meet him and chat a little. How awful to have to lose a child, but how wonderful that he has turned his grief into a way to raise money and awareness for a great cause.

Our Great Aunt Ann, who will be 83 next month did the walk with us. I actually had to run to catch up to her because she took off like a shot! She is one spunky lady (she does pilates and has abs of steel!).

My proud sister with her son the runner!

Our whole group had a wonderful time together. We all went out for lunch after the race and enjoyed each other some more!
Losing our Mom was really tough, but we couldn't have picked a better and more fitting way to honor her memory. I know she was smiling down on us that day!

No comments: