Friday, March 5, 2010

Wise Words from a Wise Woman

I've been reading a new book this week. It's called "The Measure of Our Success: A Letter to My Children and Yours", by Marian Wright Edelman. I never knew of this author until I read an article about her in the newspaper last week. Go ahead and google her name, she's an extraordinary woman.
There's one paragraph in the book that really struck me and I want to share it with you here.

"I want my children to know the values I hold most dear, which do not change no matter the times; that they are in my thoughts and prayers often every day; and that each occupies a very special room in my heart and owns love that is his alone and that can never be occupied by another or taken away by anything he can ever say or do."

What a profound statement. This is something I think of often as a parent, but didn't know how to put it into words. I'm a person who believes that being a parent is my job and I take that job very seriously. These little people are in my care and I am responsible for growing them into great adults. One way I do this is to tell them every day how much they are loved, no matter what. Think about that when you're angry, tired, frustrated or impatient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a touching statement. One that I'll never ever forget.