Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thank you Marc Brown

Tia and I both enjoy watching "Arthur" on PBS. It's a great show for kids, and I personally think its' creator Marc Brown in a genius.
Yesterday during our quiet time we watched a new Arthur episode together. I was blown away at how plainly and tactfully they addressed the subject of cancer. I sat there thinking "Oh my God, they're saying the word right there, out in the open!". You see, when my Mom was sick with cancer, my kids knew she was sick. I often talked about how she was not feeling well, or in the hospital, and that she was getting special medicine to help her. I NEVER used the word cancer. I'm not sure why. Maybe I thought the kids were too young to handle it, or maybe I just didn't want to say that word out loud.
I hadn't thought about that again until watching Arthur. The show taught the kids in a gentle way that people with cancer are still the same person, that you don't have to be afraid of them when their hair falls out, and that cancer is not contagious. Tia watched intently. It gave me the opportunity to discuss my Mom's illness openly and honestly. Tia and I FINALLY talked about how Mema had cancer, just like the lady on the show.
I wonder why as adults, we don't give children the credit they deserve. They're usually smarter than we think.
So, I say Hooray for Public Television and Thank You Marc Brown!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Kids do understand more than we give them credit for. I want to see the show too.