Monday, September 28, 2009

Once Upon a Potty


Next month Giuliana will be 2 1/2. That's exactly the time we potty trained Tia, and she was ready. Gia, on the other hand, is quite a different child. A few months back we brought out the potty chair. She wanted to try it out, and actually used it once. Since then, it has just sat un-used in the bathroom, and we're not allowed to talk about it. Gia is a very strong willed child. When she does something, it has to be her own idea. She absolutely will not do anything if she thinks someone is forcing her into it. Her favorite word still seems to be "No!".

Gia's all time favorite candy is M&M's, so I brought home 2 bags and showed them to her. I explained that the candy was for little girls who go pee pee on the potty. She walked away, ignoring me.

Last week at the Parent-Tot center, I started to read her a book about going potty. She took the book out of my hand and tossed it acrosst he room. I guess she told me!

A few days ago I reminded her about the M&M's that were waiting for her in our pantry. Her response was "I don't like M&M's anymore"! This kid is stubborn beyond belief. She reminds me of my mother in so many ways.

Last night D.R. decided to use some serious psychology (that quite possible could have scarred our baby for life!). He told Tia to go use the potty, and that he would give her 4 M&M's for doing so. She did, and happily accepted her prize. Gia of course went into a huge fit, knowing the candy was supposed to be for her. D.R. said "Well, I'm sorry but those are only for little girls who can use the potty. If you'd like to go on the potty, then you can have 4 M&M's too". I stood back and held my breath. I know how stubborn this child is, and I had the feeling this could have led to a complete melt down. Well, my genius husband had the right idea. Seeing her sister with candy that she wasn't having got her to finally sit on the potty, and use it!

Now, here's the funny part. Gia informed me that she wanted to use the big potty, not the baby potty chair. OK, so I lifted her onto it, then she said "Don't see me!", so I had to turn my head and not look at her. When I heard a little tinkle, I began to open my mouth to praise her. She immediately covered my mouth with her hand and said "Don't say it Mom". It took every ounce of energy I had to not burst out laughing! I wanted to clap and cheer and dance around in celebration of her potty use. She wouldn't have any of it. We couldn't talk about her accomplishment. She just wanted her M&M's. I asked if we could call Nonna and tell her about it, and of course she said no.

We're learning a lot about our little girl. We have definitely learned that she has to do things her own way, and on her own time, and there's no changing that. We are getting some practice in patience for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have believed kids as young as Gia could be so strong-willed...it's amazing!