Saturday, July 11, 2009

What's in a Name?

We spent a lot of time thinking about what to name our children. We felt we were careful, making sure their initials wouldn't spell out anything embarrassing, and that they were unique and special. I chose Giuliana's name myself. When D.R. and I were in Italy, I saw the name and fell in love with it. He chose her middle name, Grace. I remember when we announced the name, my own Mother was mortified by the middle name. She told us it was an old lady name. We went with it anyway.

Well, since bringing her home from the hospital, her name had gone through many changes and variations. Tia started it by calling her "Ju Ju". It caught on and stuck with her. My husband called her Gia. A lot of people followed suit, I'm guessing becaues Gia is easier to pronounce (and spell) than Giuliana. At some point we started calling her Gi Gi, and that morphed into Gi Gi Gracie. Well, lo and behold, our precious 2 year old told us yesterday, with all her conviction, "I Gracie, NOT Gia!". OK, I guess the decision has been made for us. So much for carefully choosing her name, she has decided what it will be. She has been reminding us throughout the day that her name is Gracie, not Gia, and not Giuliana.

I wonder why we went through all the trouble of coming up with a cool name. We should have just waited and let her pick it herself! Gracie it is.

2 comments:

The Sugden Kids said...

I'm loving catching up on your blog, and this post in particular I am relating to, since we are still mulling over what to name this one on the way... she may be born nameless at this rate!? We just can't seem to make up our minds or agree on much! I love Gia's name, first and middle and all of her nicknames too... so cute that she's preferring Gracie though! :)

Amy Jo said...

I Love the name Gracie! How funny that she would pick her middle name out to be used. I like GiGi too. We call kaylee KK. :)