Monday, April 27, 2009

Is there such a thing as a Fruitatarian?

Tia has pretty much always been a vegetarian, even as an infant. She just doesn't eat meat products. I've learned to accept that and try to figure out other ways to get her to eat protein. She used to love beans. She and D.R. could eat a whole bag of edamame together. She also used to drink milk with breakfast and dinner, and loved cheese. Those days are gone. She says milk hurts her tummy, she doesn't like cheese, and all things green are off her menu!

What's a Mom to do? She loves apples and grapes. That's about it. Could she really be a fruitatarian? There's no protein in fruit so I'm not sure how she can sustain life on that.

This morning I tried to bribe her with chocolate milk. I had until now been very proud that my kids have NEVER even tasted chocolate milk. In my defense, it was actually Carnation Instant Breakfast, but still, it was bribery. Her response to my offer was "No thanks, I just want water please". Well, at least she's polite!

Her daily menu usually consists of toast with peanut butter and jelly for breakfast, apple sauce or an apple for lunch (no protein here) then about half a yogurt and some grapes for dinner. She might be convinced to have a graham cracker for an evening snack. I wish I could follow this diet, I'd be bikini ready in no time!

So my challenge this week is to try to find healthy things to feed my daughter, that also have protein and calcium in them. Today it was Instant Breakfast and yogurt. Let's see what I come up with tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a migrane and went to bed at 7.30 p.m. Now it's 2.15 a.m. and I am reading your blog and laughing at your comment about being "bikini ready" in no time!!! It's sooooooooooooo funny!