Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stranger talk

I've been thinking a lot about how to talk to Tia about "stranger danger" and what to do if we ever got separated. She's not quite 3 1/2, so how do you talk to her about something so serious, without scaring her?
Then, D.R. and I watched the movie "Changeling". If you haven't seen it, it's a heart wrenching true story of a boy, abducted and presumably killed by a psychopath. Well that's enough to freak a mother out! I decided I couldn't put it off any longer.
Here's what I decided to do. I'm not even entertaining the idea of discussing 'strangers'. I figure we'll start out slow, with the basics. I told Tia that if she ever got lost and couldn't find me, she needed to ask someone for help.
I have told her she needs to say "My name is Tia, I live in Huntley, and my Mom's name is Ronda". I figure that should be enough to get her started, right?

Here's what she tells me when I quiz her:
"My name is Tia, I live in Hunwey, my Mommy's name is Wonda".

You gotta' start somewhere.

No comments: