Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History has been made

I am not generally a very political person. I do not enjoy debating politics or even having politically focused conversations at home with my husband. I do however believe it is so important to exercise our right to vote. I have voted in all the Presidential elections since I was old enough to do so.

Our grandparents grew up in an age where women were not considered smart enough to vote. They didn't earn that right until 1920, only after much public humiliation, abuse, and bloodshed. Because of the struggle of the women before us, I feel it's my duty to stand up and vote. I proudly do so.

Our parents grew up in an age where people of color were not allowed to vote. Even decades after laws were passed stating that all citizens could vote, people of color were kept from the polls with brute force. It is absolutely amazing to me that some of those same people who were kept from the polls, and believed to be too ignorant to vote, are now seeing a black man elected President of the United States. What a glorious day for us all!

Equality is an issue near and dear to my heart. I truly believe ALL men and women were created equal and therefore should all have the same opportunities in life. I have a racially diverse family and therefore know first hand that racism still exists, as does discrimination. However, today I have been given hope that my daughters will grow up in a world where a woman or person of color in a position of power is commonplace. I want them to read about today in their history books and think to themselves "what was the big deal? Why was color so important?".

Whether you are Republican or Democrat, today is a day that will go down in history. I am so proud to be American.

No comments: