Sunday, September 14, 2008

A pleasant discovery

I haven't written much about it but we have had some serious behavioral problems with Giuliana lately. I have been at my wits end with her...constant screaming, acting out, throwing things, and just downright naughtiness! Well, this weekend I think we got it figured out. Really I should say D.R. figured it out but I am the mom so I get some credit too.
This girl needs sleep, and lots of it.

We put her to bed at 6:30 last night. That's about 40 minutes earlier than her usual time. She slept until almost 7:00 this morning. Over 12 hours. Then, when she got up this morning, D.R sat quietly on the couch with her for about 20 minutes cuddling and watching TV. That seemed to do the trick because for the first time in weeks, I had my sweet baby back. She was pleasant to be around, no screaming! I guess she's just not a morning person.

At 9am. she rubbed her eyes once and I said "OK, time for night night". She laid right down in my arms and I put her back to bed. She only slept for about half an hour but again I think she just needed the quiet time.
We went shopping (and didn't rush through the store hoping to avoid a tantrum), came home, had lunch, and then it was the 'regular' nap time. Again she went right down without a fuss and is just about ready to get up now. I can hear her talking in her room. It's been 2 hours and 10 minutes. Holy Heaven.

So, just for today there have been no tantrums, screaming fits, or throwing of sippy cups. I hope (fingers crossed) that this isn't just a fluke and all she really needed was a little extra sleep.

No comments: