Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Under the weather

Today I feel a bit 'under the weather'. Sore throat, headache, and all around yuck. I am slacking today in the housekeeping and wonder how I will keep up with the kids. We'll go to the park this morning and I hope they will play so hard that they take a 3 hour nap this afternoon (Please, please God!).
Days like today make me wonder how my mom did it. With 3 or 4 of us home, she had carpal tunnel surgery and was in the hospital for a week. That's how they did it back then. These days you're lucky if you get to stop at the hospitals' drive through window while they slice you open. At any rate, she was away from home for a week, and then incapacitated for a few more during recovery. How the heck did she take care of all of us?
Then there was the time she had a hysterectomy. Another week in the hospital, and many more weeks of recovery at home. No lifting, lots of rest. How exactly does a mother of 4 rest and not lift? I still don't know the answer to that one. I don't have any horrible memories of not being taken care of, going hungry, or worse yet (in my Mom's eyes), going to bed dirty! Somehow we got through it.
So, today, I will go on with life and not complain much. I know it can be done. I had a good role model. This too shall pass.

No comments: