Monday, August 23, 2010

School Days

I can't believe how fast this summer flew by. I feel like we did a lot, but it's never enough. It's been unbearably hot so we spent more time indoors than I'd like. Now it's time to get ready for the school year.

Tia starts at her new preschool this week and is a bundle of anxiety. She'd love to go back to her old school where everything is familiar, and where her baby sister will be attending this year. I understand her thought process, but it's not going to happen. Also a big, scary issue for her is that she will be riding the bus. I have told her that I'll follow the bus to school on the first day, and go in with her. Now she wants me to do that every day, assuring me that she will be nervous on ALL the days, not just the first day! Also, not going to happen.

Gia, on the other hand, who is 18 months younger than Tia, is ready to march into school today. She can't wait. We gathered up the things on her school supply list last night and put them in a tote bag. She very proudly carried that bag around the house, announcing that she was going to school. She got right in Tia's face and said "I'm not scared Tia, I'm excited. I love school!". She definitely has a different personality than her sister, but it also helps that she's going to a school she has dropped her sister off at and is familiar with. She knows the building and the teachers. No anxiety there! Unfortunately she starts a week after Tia and will probably be mad that she can't go yet.

So, we'll see how this week goes. I'm willing to bet that Mommy sheds more tears than Tia, and she'll be just fine. I just can't imagine my little Muffin getting on a big school bus, without me. Oh, we're growing up!

No comments: