Sunday, March 22, 2009

On the Road Again!

We just got back from a long weekend in St. Louis, MO. I had to go for an interpreting conference, and D.R. thought it would be fun if we all went and turned it into a mini vacation. Let's just say even the best laid plans can go awry.
The girls were great in the car all the way there. I can't complain, they are pretty well versed on the road trip idea and can hang in there for the long haul.
However, young children+strange surroundings=NO SLEEP!
The first night was horrendous. No sleep, lots of screaming, then 10 hours of workshops the next day. The next night was a little better because we figured out separating the girls helped to get them to sleep. Still, a rough night, up early, long day.
Also, each morning the tear fest began all over again once the girls realized I was going some place without them. I went to my conference, they went to the zoo or pool. I'm sure they had more fun than I did, but still they wanted to go with me. Each day D.R. ran them around for a couple hours, fed them lunch, and then...ahhh, they slept. He did a great job of making things fun with them and making the best of it.
They eventually got used to the hotel but honestly never got quite as much sleep as they would have at home. In fact Tia is passed out on the couch as I type this. I think she's as happy to be home as I am.
On this mini vacation, we took a total of 3 pictures. Anyone who knows me, knows that's crazy! I take tons of pictures even when we're just at home, let alone on a trip. That's just how chaotic our weekend was. So, with that said, here are the 3 pictures.

Both girls found this accent pillow fascinating. They would set it up and knock it down. Gia didn't want to be in the picture.

Here's Gia enjoying grapes at the table in our suite. No, she wasn't drinking that can of pop, it just happened to be sitting there when I snapped the shot!


On our last full day at the hotel, D.R. spent the morning with the girls at the pool. He managed to get a shot of both of them in their new bathing suits. I wish I could have been there to see this in person! They had a blast in the pool with their buckets and watering cans.

Overall, I'm glad we went. I made contact with others in my profession, and learned a lot. I don't work often so I had almost forgotten how much fun it can be. It was also nice to be around other adults for a few days.

I'm glad to be home, happy that we're all safe and healthy, and not planning on doing this for quite a while!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sooooooooo understand what you're going through. We just went to a restaurant on Sunday and by the time we got home, I was so hassled, I thought we're NEVER going to do this in a looooooooooooong time!

The Sugden Kids said...

I feel your pain as well! Traveling with small children is no picnic! :) We just went through the same thing, 2 sleepless nights in WI. :)