Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Some things make me feel old...

...others just make me laugh.

A few months back, I was in the grocery store for my regular 'way too early in the morning' grocery shopping trip. I ate a bagel while I shopped. When I got to the check-out, I told the young cashier "oh, and ring me up for a bagel, I ate it already". Then, thinking I was being witty, I said "Breakfast of champions!". She just gave me a blank stare and I realized she had no idea what I was talking about. I decided it wouldn't be worth my time to tell her about the Wheaties commercials from "the old days". She didn't look like she'd be easy to amuse. It suddenly dawned on me that I am getting pretty old! I say things like "the kids today..." and "back in the day...". How the heck did this happen?! Now, all of a sudden I'm the grown up!

D.R. and I find ourselves saying things to our kids that make them laugh, but make absolutely no sense to them. For example, when Tia asks for something to eat, then decides she no longer wants it, we say "You asked for it, you got it, TOYOTA!". It makes the kids laugh, even though they've never heard that slogan on TV.

I guess we're from an era of catchy slogans that nobody under the age of about 28 would remember. This is what our parents went through, at some point, too.

Occasionally I get hit with the "blast from the past" while going through Tia's wardrobe.


Today she chose this adorable pink dress to wear to school, which was another hand-me-down from my God Daughter. However, she didn't know who the little girl characters were on the dress. I explained that they were called the Power Puff girls, and they were from a cartoon that's no longer on TV (again "back in the day"). She said "Oh, I like them. When I get bigger, I want to be a Power Tough girl"! She cracks me up.

Some days I feel old. Most of the time I just laugh!

No comments: